Friday 24 May 2013

A Weighty Subject

As I am getting ready to go home for Summer I am struggling with all the things I want to get out of my Summer weight loss and fitness wise (improving). I haven't done a weight update in weeks, and when I weighed in this morning I saw 10.1 stone (and three quarters) flash before me. Which considering it's that time of the month and I haven't been eating my cleanest, it was amazing I lost anything at all let alone I didn't gain. So I've accepted the number on the scale for this week and I'm moving forward into a new week. Moving forward means last week has gone and is staying in the past. Where it should be.

But my thoughts this entire week have been going back and forth. How's Summer going to go? What about if it's not successful?  And all the rest of it. It's just pessimistic questions that I can't even answer for another few months, right? So, why am I letting them bother me?

This I have many answers for...

It's happened in the past. I've had high goals for summer, and I've actually ended up back peddling!

My outlook on life is to think about the worst thing that can happen first. Something that I've been improving on in recent months with the aid of therapy. It's a safety technique I developed in my early teens. That way whatever happens will be far better than previously imagined.

I have never trusted the process before. Something which I am getting better at.

The list could go on and on but you get the general idea. It's only until recently that my weight loss way of thinking has switched. When I was younger it was all about losing the most weight I could and being the skinniest I could. But I feel this year weight loss has taken a different turn mentally and physically, and it's time to put it into practice. To go for it and know if I fail I can always try again.

we all fall.  it happens to the best of us.  so when it happens to you just get the hell back up and keep on going.

It doesn't matter how many times you fall...just get back up again.

Wilferd A Peterson - The art of being yourself at your best is the art of unfolding your personality into the person you want to be...Be gentle with yourself, learn to love yourself, to forgive yourself, for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others.

You get the idea.

Try, try again and if that doesn't work try some more. Journeys aren't meant to be a walk in the park. They are meant to challenge you, challenge your outlook  So, you come through the other side a better you, a you who you are proud of.

For me it's no longer about how much weight I can lose. It's about improving my fitness each day, each week and watching that side of me grow stronger. I want to be strong, not thin. I believe that that strength lies within me and that like any muscle in my body if I train and strengthen it it will grow. I was thinking about how much weight do I want to lose, and that's when I realised for me that although I want to maintain a certain weight, it's not the bee all and end all. That there's more to it. I'm 5ft7/5ft8 and I currently weight 10.1 (+0.75). And that number is fine with me. But to get the body I want I must maintain my current effort and then some. I need to exercise regularly, something that has made an appearance in my life every now and then  but never on a continuous basis. Something which I hope to have changed by the end of the year, but saying that I need to live in the now and focus on the coming week and stop worrying about the future.

I am still going to strive to make my diet as balanced with goodness as possible, but I don't want to become obsessed or annoyed if I have a "bad" day. Bad days are going to happen, but as long as the good outweigh the bad everything should balance out naturally.

Diets just don't work... if we want to be healthy and fit, we should eat healthy every day every meal.  Yes: 'bad food' is okay sometimes, but keep it as a treat, and in moderation.  The hardest part is starting to eat healthy, once you make it a habit, you just don't want to eat unhealthy because you just don't feel good.
I think this is what I'm aiming for and trying to say.

And I will get stronger until I conquer all!

I'm finally doing it and "wanting" to do it the healthy way. It's took me months to lose 15 pounds so far but I want to make sure those pounds stay off. Like many I find maintenance harder than losing, which is why I am not trying to pay it too much attention. Or even refer to it as "maintenance". I'm just living the life I love, and that's enough for me.

Live the life you love. Love the life you live.



Does anybody else struggle to "maintain"?

What's the part you struggle with the most when it comes to maintenance?

Have a great bank holiday weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Hi just came across your blog and trust me when I say this I know exactly what you are going through it is hard loosing the weight as you reach your goal then the even harder part is how to maintain its not easy but it will get easier gret log love your honesty will follow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie, thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment it means a lot :D

      Delete